Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 05:37:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  General issues
| | |-+  Walking in Shetland

« previous next »

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Walking in Shetland  (Read 6878 times)
davem

« on: January 16, 2008, 09:54:17 pm »

Hello

Has anybody got experience or information about walking in the Shetland isles, particularly the coastal way?

Thanks

Dave
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:51:39 pm »

Hello Dave
I've only done several day-walks in Shetland using a guidebook bought in the Lerwick TIC.  There's also a section in Lonely Planet's Walking in Scotland book.

Am not aware of any Shetland Coastal Way though I did find a web reference to the Shetland Access Strategy (Sept 2005) which said:
A continuous Shetland Coastal Route is perhaps a long term strategic goal

Can you share what you know about it please?

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
davem

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:48:52 pm »

Hello all

I have done some digging around but there is not much information.

However, Peter Guy, a local resident, has written a series of 7 books under the general title of Walking the Coastline of Shetland from the mid 90's to the 2006. They are published by Shetland Times.

I have bought the latest volume: it is an updated version of No. 4 Northmavine. The 120-mile route is an interesting one split into 14 stages around the north of the mainland Shetland, hugging the coastline. There is also a series of circular walks at the back of the book. This is not a formal path and seems to require crossing over fences and wires a number of times. The maps are the most sketchy I have ever seen, with arrows pointing along the coast and no detail to guide you. 

The text is is interesting and informative, describing the geology and local historic sites.  There are some nice photographs.

The description boasts of beautiful, dramatic coastline, unsurpassed cliff secenery, wildlife,notable pre-historic sites and vistas of the crofting communites and countryside. Sounds quite idyllic after the West highland Way. However, the walk is really only possible with wild camping due to grave lack of other accomodation and other amenitiies such as food shops i.e. virtually none!

I have posted on other walking websites but no one seems to have experienced using the books or walking the coast line.

What a shame!  I fancied being in such a remote area but camping (especially wild camping) is not for me. I am not going to order the other books as I fear the situation will be the same on each section.

I will have to look elsewhere for this year's challenge!

Dave

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: