Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:27:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
SMF - Just Installed
921 Posts in 264 Topics by 2344 Members
Latest Member: DezHowl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rucksack Readers
|-+  Rucksack Readers
| |-+  General issues
| | |-+  Which Way ?

« previous next »

Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Which Way ?  (Read 22102 times)
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

Hey Alan

What you have discovered is that (like many of us) your feet are not identical in size!

The answer is a "volume reducer": buy the boots to fit your larger foot and mollycoddle the smaller (right) one with a special footbed plus reassurance.  You probably haven't laced either boot hard enough yet (especially important once facing downhill).

Don't even think about the half size down, there's nothing you or any trained boot-fitter can do there.

Good luck and do persevere, it isn't as easy as most people think!
Bye now
Jacquetta

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
alan

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 07:06:17 pm »

Hi Jacquetta,

Bought a Brasher 3mm volume adjuster today, based on your advice.

Sorry for being a bit dim, but how do you actually remove the footbed, fit the volume adjuster and refit the footbed ?

Do you just pull out the footbed place the volume adjuster and put em back in or do you need to use heat / glue etc or some other technique ?

thanks again, alan
Jacquetta
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 08:59:42 pm »

Hello Alan

No, not dim, just usefully asking questions that plenty of folk don't know the answer to. Embarrassed

Yes, normally you just need finger pressure (or a very blunt, plastic instrument if your fingers are unusually weak) and deffo no glue or heat.  Having said that, please don't try to sue me if you wreck them, just be gentle and persevere and, if all else fails, get help.  You must have a local walking club or friend or somebody?

Personally, the first thing I do with any walking boots is remove the pathetic insole that they come with.  If like me you don't like throwing things out, simply use them in a pair of bedroom slippers, it's all they're fit for Smiley

But please let us know the outcome, we're all now on tenterhooks!
Cheers
Jacquetta

Jacquetta Megarry, publisher of Rucksack Readers and forum moderator
alan

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 06:51:07 pm »

Hi Jacquetta, Grin

Fitted a Brasher volume adjuster with original insole ontop - turned to be very easy indeed as they are not stuck down and v easy to remove and refit.  Was initially a little skeptical looking at the rather thin and fairly cheap insert but this has worked like a dream!
From my foot sliding all over the place to no excess movement at all and a very comfortable fit up and downhill, so very pleased indeed. Even OK coming down a in sock thickness which augurs well for hot feet during WHW walk in May - assuming decent weather.
Will remove the left foot volume adjuster as its now a little too snug, but hey it was OK to begin with - just thought I'd try both boots to start with.
Also played around with lace tightness as advised. This has also helped. May also replace original insole, but I'll see how I go for now.

Thanks again ... Alan
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: