The Ridgeway National Trail runs for 87 miles (139 km) across the beautiful North Wessex Downs and on through the Chilterns. Starting close to Avebury’s huge stone circle, the trail heads north-east to Ivinghoe Beacon, about 35 miles (56 km) north-west of London. The ridge that it follows has been a traveller’s route since time immemorial, and the chalk downlands offer firm footing with wide open views.
The trail visits prehistoric hill forts, burial mounds and chalk-white horses, passing through and near to villages with welcoming and charming pubs and B&Bs. Completing The Ridgeway will take you back in time and bring you closer to nature.
This guidebook contains all you need to plan and enjoy your holiday:
- details of each section showing distance, altitude profile and food/drink stops
- clear directions for cyclists, who may ride large sections of the Ridgeway
- includes a 5-page guide to Avebury and its prehistory
- background on history, landscapes and wildlife
- planning information for travel by bus, train and car
- drop-down map of The Ridgeway in five panels (1:110,000)
- in full colour, with 80 photographs
- on rainproof paper throughout.
Click for details of The Ridgeway walking holiday providers.
- The Ridgeway
- Max Landsberg
- 15 March 2015
- UK price £11.99
- 64pp+5pp map flap
- 145x210 mm
- ISBN: 978-1-898481-70-6