The Cateran Trail
In 2006 the Cateran Trail was improved with an 8-mile off-road section replacing the road slog from Dalnaglar to Kirkton of Glenisla. Our upgrade card has detailed directions and mapping and is inserted free with all orders. Customers who bought the book elsewhere/long ago can obtain one by contacting us.
The Cateran Trail is a circular walk of 64 miles (103 km) starting in Blairgowrie, near Perth, following in the footsteps of cattle-rustlers (caterans). This waymarked Trail follows ancient paths through glens, mountains and farmland of Highland Perthshire, with fine scenery, heritage and wildlife. The nearest village is never more than 7 miles (11 km) away, and gradients are easy to moderate. The Trail can be completed comfortably within 4-5 days, and there are options to link with the Rob Roy Way, and for a weekend Minitrail.
This guidebook contains all that a Cateran Trail walker needs:
- detailed description of each section
- concise directions for related walks, including a weekend Minitrail
- side-trips including Mount Blair (744 m/2440 ft)
- planning information for transport and accommodation
- background on caterans, farming and wildlife
- lavishly illustrated with over 60 colour photographs
- drop-down route map of the Cateran Trail(scale 1:100,000)
- rucksack-friendly format and on waterproof paper.
Click for details of Cateran Trail walking holiday providers.
Our guidebooks include small-scale maps as a dropdown flap. On some itineraries a good map may be vital for safety, and some walkers prefer always to carry detailed maps. Here is our list of recommended maps:
- The Cateran Trail
- Jacquetta Megarry
- October 2004
- UK price £10.99
- 64pp+4pp map flap
- 145x210 mm
- ISBN: 978-1-898481-21-8
“My immediate reaction was to want to put on my boots and step out on the Trail.”
Felicity Martin, in the Perthshire Advertiser
- Cateran Trail question
- How to claim your forum discount on a guidebook
- Cateran Trail in 2 parts (unfortunately)