Our all-new expanded and updated second edition with 35 fine photographs from professional Mike Bell was launched in Blairgowrie in October 2015. With detailed mapping (Footprint, 1:50,000) and updated route descriptions, the new edition marks a great step forward.
The Cateran Trail is a circular walk of 64 miles (104 km) starting in Blairgowrie, near Perth, following in the footsteps of cattle-rustlers (caterans). This waymarked Trail follows ancient paths through glens, mountains and farmland of Highland Perthshire, with fine scenery, heritage and wildlife. The nearest village is never more than 7 miles (11 km) away, and gradients are easy to moderate. The Trail can be completed comfortably within 4-5 days, and several route variants are described, including the option for a weekend Minitrail.
This guidebook contains all that a Cateran Trail walker needs:
- detailed and up-to-date route description of each section
- Foreword by explorer and adventurer Polly Murray
- concise directions for variants, including a weekend Minitrail
- side-trips including Mount Blair (744 m/2440 ft)
- planning information for transport and accommodation
- background on caterans, farming and wildlife
- lavishly illustrated with 90 colour photographs
- 8 pages of Footprint mapping of the Cateran Trail (scale 1:50,000)
- rucksack-friendly format and on rainproof paper.
- Cateran Trail
- Jacquetta Megarry
- 23 September 2015
- UK price £12.99
- 145x210 mm
- ISBN: 978-1-898481-68-3
Our guidebooks include small-scale maps as a dropdown flap. On some itineraries a good map may be vital for safety, and some walkers prefer always to carry detailed maps. Here is our list of recommended maps: