The Cateran Trail (forthcoming 3 October 2015)
We have just (August 2015) run out of stock of our first edition but our all-new expanded and updated second edition with many fine photographs from professiional Mike Bell will be launched at the Book Festival in Blairgowrie on Saturday 3 October. With detailed mapping (footprint, 1:50,000) and updated route descriptions, the new edition will be worth waiting for, but if you need a copy sooner, please email us for alternative options.
The Cateran Trail is a circular walk of 64 miles (103 km) starting in Blairgowrie, near Perth, following in the footsteps of cattle-rustlers (caterans). This waymarked Trail follows ancient paths through glens, mountains and farmland of Highland Perthshire, with fine scenery, heritage and wildlife. The nearest village is never more than 7 miles (11 km) away, and gradients are easy to moderate. The Trail can be completed comfortably within 4-5 days, and there are options to link with the Rob Roy Way, and for a weekend Minitrail.
This guidebook contains all that a Cateran Trail walker needs:
- detailed description of each section
- concise directions for related walks, including a weekend Minitrail
- side-trips including Mount Blair (744 m/2440 ft)
- planning information for transport and accommodation
- background on caterans, farming and wildlife
- lavishly illustrated with over 60 colour photographs
- drop-down route map of the Cateran Trail(scale 1:100,000)
- rucksack-friendly format and on waterproof paper.
- The Cateran Trail
- Jacquetta Megarry
- 3 October 2015
- UK price £12.99
- 145x210 mm
- ISBN: 978-1-898481-68-3
Our guidebooks include small-scale maps as a dropdown flap. On some itineraries a good map may be vital for safety, and some walkers prefer always to carry detailed maps. Here is our list of recommended maps:
“My immediate reaction was to want to put on my boots and step out on the Trail.”
Felicity Martin, in the Perthshire Advertiser